In online mediation, the entire process is conducted remotely using a digital platform. I use Zoom Professional. Unlike a typical mediation, the parties and the mediator will not meet face-to-face.
While in a typical mediation, the parties attending may be supported by individuals dialling in via telephone or video conferencing technology. In online mediation, all interactions are digital.
Having the right equipment is key to conducting a successful online mediation. The most essential pieces of equipment are:
- A laptop/tablet with a microphone and camera
- A strong secure internet connection
- A secure video conference service provider. I use Zoom Pro and you do not need to have a paid account for this service as I will provide. You can register and join the mediation for free.
Like any typical mediation, preparation is needed in advance. We recommend that the following tips to help ensure the mediation is conducted smoothly.
- Become accustomed to the technology before the mediation takes place
- Raise any possible interruptions prior to the mediation
- Take frequent breaks
- Respect the other parties confidentiality. For example, don't invite any surprise guests or record the session without prior consent
- Always have a plan b, in the event that technology should fail
Discuss the following prior to your mediation:
- Location and environment of each participant
- Advance calls – some work may be completed in advance of the mediation
- Settlement – agree in advance how a settlement agreement will be executed. I can arrange for electronic signatures to be used
Each mediation is unique and it is very important to consider the process which will work best for you, taking into account technical capabilities, available time, attention spans and environment.
You can book an online mediation by clicking here. If you have any questions about online mediation, or would like assistance please click the below link above and submit your enquiry.